Prepare to be amazed at the devotion and superstition that drove miners to carve figures, monuments and altarpieces into the walls of an 800-year-old salt mine.
As you walk down 360 steps into the salt mine, you get the impression of entering a vast underground city, complete with huge caverns and underground lakes. This underground world has earned a place on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage list thanks to the creativity of the miners who carved chapels out of the walls, hundreds of meters below the surface. You will visit the largest of the chapels dedicated to St Kinga, the patron saint of salt miners. This subterranean church is richly decorated with chandeliers, sculptures, and religious figures carved out of salt. As you follow the 2 1/2-kilometer walk, you'll pass statues dating back to the 18th century depicting mythical, historical and religious figures. The last stop in the mine is the souvenir shop and snack bar. From here, the lift carries you back to the surface.
- Professional guide (please select language option)
- Pick up from selected hotels
- Admission to Wieliczka Salt Mine
- A guided walk through Wieliczka Salt Mine
- Lift pick up to the ground level on exit
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional activity costs
- The temperature in the Mine is 14 °C/ 57 °F all year round
- Children below 4 years old are free of charge.
- The pick-up bus is not necessarily the tour bus. It is possible that you will have to change the bus at our central starting point.
- For groups of 5 and up, please inquire for discounted rates.